Thursday, November 1, 2012

6 weeks!

I had my 6 wk post op appt yesterday and guess what????? I got the OK to chew!! yayyyyy!! So I went home got some carrots and apples and crunched away!!


OK I'm kidding obviously. Haha, u guys are probably like... what! Are u crazyyyyy?

No he said I can chew most foods that you’re typically aloud and not aloud to eat with braces i.e. no hard sticky crunchy foods. He said no jolly ranchers (obviously) and nothing like bagels n such. He did say I can eat stuff like chicken :) Oh meat, how I've missed u. well I'm not gonna lie. I've eaten some meats like ground beef in stuff like pasta which is easy to eat, but I've tried to eat chicken and pot roast before, but it was too hard. I would end up swallowing it which not only was that dangerous but not very enjoyable.
I've been missing the carnivore in me. Like actually chewing the meat. So I ate some stewed lamb yesterday (very soft) and I tried actually chewing it. It was so difficult for me. Not just physically, but mentally.
Physically, it was hard because my jaws or jaw muscles are very, very weak right now and the fact that I'm not used to eating with the new bite I have. I'm not used to chewing and having all my teeth touch. It’s a weird feeling. The mental part of it, is that I'm so scared. I'm afraid to be aggressive while chewing because I keep thinking I don't wanna break anything or loosen anything. My surgeon did say that I'm pretty much healed like a broken bone after being in a cast for a while. But that got me confused. I thought it takes many months and even up to a year for bone to heal? Idk but he assured me not to worry and chew food like a regular person but not go crazy. He said wait another month before actually eating whatever I want like steak (and I'm guessing apples and carrots? lol)

I told him about the snap I felt behind my nose the other day from laughing too hard. He looked in my nose and just said not to worry about it. Ummm OK. I guess. Maybe it’s something that is not dangerous. He said I would worry about it if it was like day 2 after surgery. My personal feeling was it was a stitch, because my nose seems more wider on that side.

Swelling wise he said I am still pretty swollen. He estimated that I still have about 40% of swelling left. Wow that's like almost half :( geezz!!
He told me by 16 weeks I should be almost back to my old self! Yikes! All this time I'm thinking 8 weeks. He said even by 4 months I should still have about 20% of residual swelling until 6 months. Then it most likely should be gone…

I'm officially off rubber bands. I went to my OD afterwards and he switched my old wires with the hooks for fresh ones. No more hooks!!! :) No actually I should remove that smile. I have a loose band in the back and a broken bracket on my front crown that still need to be fixed. My mouth cant open wide enough to start anything. But, are you ready for the exact words my OD used next... "I'm not going to use the ceramic bracket on the crown again. I'm going to either BAND it:( then add it on or add a metal bracket because I don't wanna keep FARTING around".. Lol, the little girl in me couldn't help to giggle…

But yeah when I go back in 2 weeks, im going to have one ugly looking tooth for the time being. It’s true we shouldn't keep farting around it. Lol. That crown has been giving us trouble so we don't want the bracket to pop off again so we can hurry up and finish! He told me we should be done with braces in a few visits.....here's hopin!

7 comments:

  1. Wow congrats. It seems like yesterday that you were undergoing surgery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right. At times it felt long in the beginning but now I'm like wow didn't I just have surgery??

      Delete
  2. HA! You had me on the apples and carrots. I thought you went totally loopy on us. :)
    Congrats on being able to chew! I'm also there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! So I'm so happy you're chewing too! Omg can you give me some clues on what I can eat? N I don't mean stuff like fish. Like I just ate a hamburger (broken into pieces) but I was afraid to chew fries. I'm trying to use common sense but this is hard!

      Delete
  3. Congratulations!!! I can't wait to reach that point!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will be so happy! It'll get here soon. Ull see!

      Delete
  4. Bone healing-wise...from what I understand it takes 6-12 weeks for soft callus to completely transform to hard bone, but your body kind of overcompensates and your bone is extra thick in the area of the fracture. Then over the next 6 months to a year your body is refining and reshaping your bone until it looks like your bones did before the break.

    40% swelling after 6 weeks! That's crazy! I figured mine was down to around 10% by now, but that makes me feel way better about how weird I look. I like your number better :)

    ReplyDelete